Wednesday, August 13, 2014

8 Things I wish someone had told me about San Francisco

As a 28 year old war veteran and amputee I decided to move to the city by the bay at the end of last year. I had visited San Francisco many years ago and always said to myself that if I begin a life somewhere else, San Francisco would be my top choice. My handicap made me rethink my decision a lot more than a normal person due to the hills and cost of living in California (especially in San Francisco) but I noticed many disabled people who wrote and said wonders of this city. Despite having experience living in a major US city, I noticed San Francisco is quite different from Boston and I’ve been running into quite a lot of surprises (still do). Don’t get me wrong, if you’re considering a move up here it’s a great place to live but here are 10 things I wished someone had told me before I moved.

San Francisco Wheelchair Van Rentals
You are where you live (?)
When telling someone what neighborhood you’re part of, people tend to take it very seriously to the point of actually knowing things about you just because of where you live. Each neighborhood offers something and you can even tell what neighborhood someone comes from because of the bike they ride (almost everyone has a bike-(cycle)). Like any stereotype it’s not an exact science but chances are, you will find a lot of hipsters in the Mission, bros in the Marina and families in Noe Valley.


Cold Weather will Strike down upon you after 4pm
Just because you’re from the Northeast don’t think it doesn’t get cold in California at nighttime. In the northeast regardless of the season if it’s cold in the morning, chances are it will be cold during the day as well, same goes for warmer weather. Here we get haphazard weather to the point that it fog can alter the temperature 10 degrees or so, so be prepared to dress in layers.

Cost of Living
Living in Boston I was used to saving a good percentage of my paycheck but here it’s a different story due to skyrocketing rent and taxes. Finding a decent apartment is quite difficult and finding one that is within your means might take a good amount of time of research before you even move here.

It is more Accessible than I thought
Santa Rosa Wheelchair Van Rentals
Upon moving here I needed to get around and I saw California the way I hadn’t before with a wheelchair van rental company called Wheelers Van Rentals. Their SanFrancisco Wheelchair Van Rentals service allowed me to take in the sights before I moved and I saw that there are always fun activities for everyone. There are always random festivals, concerts and cultural events going on. It’s impossible to not get drawn to something you didn’t expect and major props to the city for how often they lend the streets to impromptu performances.


Home to a Significant Number of Crackheads

There are definitely bad parts in San Francisco and although they show you a very culturally diverse city with a lot of emphasis on change there are some ugly parts as well. The sectors with crime are tenderloin and civic center which happen to be right in the middle of the city. Market Street and Union Square are right on the border of the rough areas which is normal for you to run into a crackhead or two asking you for money on your way to work.

Learn about MUNI
San Diego Wheelchair Van Rentals
MUNI is the bus system utilized in San Francisco that most San Franciscans have strained relationships with on a daily basis. Keep these tips in mind to avoid mishaps in the future. Also, the trolleys aren’t all wheelchair friendly.
·         Don’t listen to Google Maps when they indicate ETAs of busses. I’m not telling you to drop Google Maps altogether but just don’t depend on it to tell you what time your bus will arrive because you’re going to have a bad time.
·         Add time to your trip if you know your bus will be heading through Chinatown. San Francisco’s Chinatown is one of the biggest in the United States and going by here indicates numerous stops and people cramming to get in or out.


If you love food, you’ve come to the right place
Rumor has it that San Francisco has enough restaurants so that everyone in the entire city can be eating at one and be seated simultaneously.

Sports aren’t as big as they are in the Northeast
When I first moved here being a huge Red Sox fan I assumed that I was never going to hear the end of it be the locals but such is not the case. The weather her allows there to be a ton of things to do all day everyday so sports aren’t the center of attention.


Learn More about Wheelers Van Rentals and their wide array of Services

Dallas Wheelchair Van Rentals
Fort Worth Wheelchair Van Rentals
Orlando Wheelchair Van Rentals
Charlotte Wheelchair Van Rentals
San Francisco Wheelchair Van Rentals
Santa Rosa Wheelchair Van Rentals
San Diego Wheelchair Van Rentals
Las Vegas Wheelchair Van Rentals
Florida Wheelchair Van Rentals
North Carolina Wheelchair Van Rentals
Texas Wheelchair Van Rentals

No comments:

Post a Comment